Do you have a big idea? Do you have a solution to a problem that you believe could change the world?
Calling all OWU Students to apply for Pitch OWU, sponsored by The Woltemade Center!
If you have an innovative and original idea, you are encouraged to apply to compete in The Woltemade Center's annual pitch competition.
Compete against peers in various disciplines to pitch your idea to a panel of judges; the top three teams or individuals will receive funding to foster the growth of your ventures. Students can apply individually or as a team. There is a maximum of four team members per team.
All majors are encouraged to apply.
Student teams are given five minutes to pitch, followed by three minutes of questions from the judges. Presentations may include PowerPoint, visual aids, props or other materials; however, presentations must stand alone without a written business plan.
Pitch OWU Competition
October 25, 2023, 7 PM - 9 PM
Merrick Hall Room 301
No RSVP required
The cash prizes listed below are for the entire team, not for individual team members. Prizes will be allocated as follows:
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Place: $750
3rd Place: $500
High School Award: For High School Applicants
Top Prize: $300
- Any Ohio Wesleyan students and high schoolers are eligible to apply for the Pitch OWU. All majors are encouraged to apply!
- All members of the presenting team must be currently enrolled students at OWU (earning credit toward a degree) or local high schools (Delaware and surrounding counties).
- Teams are not eligible if their business has earned more than $50,000 in revenue.
- The ownership makeup of ventures eligible for The Pitch Competition is restricted to current students and high school students.
- Students must explain in the pitch how they intend to acquire sufficient rights to intellectual property, if the university or another entity owns the patent or research that supports their business model.
- If you competed in the Pitch OWU Competition previously, you may apply again to compete with a new business idea.
Pitching your Idea
- Problem: A clear description of the problem
- Customer Segment: Who has this problem? Define the characteristics of your typical customer.
- Why is the problem worth solving?
- Existing Alternatives: How do your target customers currently solve the problem? Describe the nature of the competing products or services. What is the advantage of your product or service over the alternatives? Why should people buy your product?
- Solution: A clear description of your product or service and how it solves the problem.
- Cost Structure: Describe your product or service costs.
- Revenue Stream: Describe how you are planning to generate revenue.
How to Apply*
To apply, complete the Google Form.
Optional Pitch Workshop: September 12, 2023, 12 PM, R.W. Corns Room 312
Submission Deadline: October 6, 2023
Competition Date: October 25, 2023, 7 PM - 9 PM, Merrick Hall Room 301
Resources to help you prepare: