This information is not a substitute for the advice of a qualified tax professional. The staff of Ohio Wesleyan University are prohibited from assisting with your tax returns, answering your tax questions or reviewing tax paperwork.  

We provide all F-1 students access codes for Sprintax tax prep software, which is an online US Federal income tax preparation service for those in F and J immigration status.  

Sprintax also provides information sessions and other resources, including optional access for the completion of state income tax forms (there is a charge for this additional service).

Tax documents often refer to F-1 and J-1 international students and scholars as "non-residents" or "NR", and we use that term below.

The US Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") is the Federal government agency that manages Federal income tax collection. The Ohio Department of Taxation is the State government agency that manages State income tax collection. Some states in the USA have an income tax; others do not.  

The City of Delaware also has a modest income tax that is withheld from the paychecks of students working on-campus. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Will I owe taxes?

You could owe taxes and have to make a payment to the US Government and/or to the State of Ohio. This depends on a number of factors, including how much has been withheld (deducted from your pay check) and paid in advance on your behalf by your employer. If you get a scholarship/grant from OWU that exceeds tuition and fees for the year, you could have income (reported on a 1042-S form) that is taxable--this type of income may be taxed at 30%.

Do I need to file taxes?
Yes. All non-residents must file one or more tax forms for every year they are present in the United States regardless of whether or not they had any income. The deadline to file a tax "return" for a calendar year is in April of the following year. You need to file a U.S. Federal tax return for every year you are in the USA in F or J immigration status.  Even if you have never worked, you need to file at least the 8843 form. You also need to file an Ohio State Return (see IT-1040 pdf form fillable and instructions) if you make more than a certain amount in total for the calendar year. 

Do I need to pay taxes?

Yes. If, after having done your Federal and State tax returns, you see that you owe money to both or either, you must pay the tax. If you do not have the money to pay, there are things that you can do. See IRS website on this issue.  Contact the IOCP if you would like further direction.

Which tax forms do I need to file?

All non-residents need to file form 8843, which is available through via the IRS website or paper copies can be picked up at the IOCP office in Slocum Hall.  Instructions for the 8843 can be found here.

All non-residents at the University who earned U.S. source income (either via on-campus employment, practical training, or other) in the previous calendar year (January 1 to December 31) need to file one or more of the following forms:

The 1040NR (federal) and IT 1040 (state) are for non-residents who earned income in the previous calendar year. The Internal Revenue Service provides information for non-residents . If you earned income in a different state in the previous calendar year, be certain to check the filing requirements for that state.

Even if your employer deducted taxes from your paycheck, you generally are still required to file an income tax return. You may owe additional taxes or be eligible for a refund.

When is my tax return due?

Federal tax forms and Ohio tax forms must be postmarked no later than the due date in mid April of every year. 

What should I watch out for in January?

In January, though, those who have had income in the previous year should anticipate receiving report forms in the mail or electronically that will be needed later for tax filing.  These forms are usually referred to by their IRS Form Number and may include the W-2 form, various versions of the 1099 form (1099-G for example), the 1042-S form and others. You should retain all of these forms for when you file.  You should not file until you receive your 1042-S form -- this form comes later than other forms.  Although you will likely not need to file a 1095 form (proof of having medical insurance), as this is only for those who have resided in the USA for awhile, it is recommended that you retain this form for your records.   


How do I file my taxes?

In previous years, students have found it quite helpful to use Sprintax to complete their federal and state returns. This web-based application, approved by the IRS simplifies the process. This software is provided to you by Ohio Wesleyan University for your convenience. You are not required to use it if you do not wish to do so. You are free to file your taxes by yourself, or hire a tax professional for assistance.  Students who wish to use Sprintax for state tax returns will be charged for this additional service; filing a Federal tax returns is free .

What are the contact details for questions issues?

  • Tax filing questions:  Check out Sprintax Resources.
  • *Need a W-2:  For OWU, check your ADP account--it's there -- or contact OWU HR at  For other employers, contact their payroll/HR offices.
  • Need a 1042-S:  For OWU contact Kari in the Business Office at For other educational institutions, contact their payroll/HR offices. This form is often issued later than other tax forms. Do not file your taxes until you have received this form -- legally it does not need to be issued until 15 March.
  • If needed, contact Dede in IOCP, 

Special note for students who attended high school in the USA: Students maintaining F-1 / J-1 visa status are generally exempt from filing as residents for the the first five years in the USA. After being present in the USA for more than 5, students must file as a "resident alien" for tax purposes.  See here  under Resident or Non-Resident for Tax Purposes for more information.

Additional resources:


Contact Info


International & Off-Campus Programs
Slocum Hall 311
Delaware, Ohio 43015
P +1-740-368-3075
P +1-740-368-3070

Social Media


Office Hours

Academic Year (August through May): Monday to Friday from 08:30-12:00 and 13:00-17:00
Summer (June and July): Monday to Friday from 08:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:30