The Woltemade Center for Economics, Business and Entrepreneurship at Ohio Wesleyan University offers the interdisciplinary Carol Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars Program for students seeking to become the next generation of business trailblazers.
The Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars Program (ESP) will allow a select group of students from across campus disciplines to explore entrepreneurship at their own pace accommodating each student's knowledge and experience in the field of entrepreneurship. Students will benefit from this program by participating in academic activities outside of the traditional classroom, self-study development, professional development activities, and a travel learning experience funded by the endowed program.
The Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars Program (ESP):
- Engages students from all majors, disciplines, and backgrounds across campus.
- Is Interdisciplinary by design.
- Is a one year program for any sophomore, junior or senior.
ESP Students will:
- Participate in a special seminar class (INT 200.7) covering topics ranging from scientific method/problem-solving to critical thinking/strategic thinking/vision. (fall semester, .25 unit)
- Participate in the Kauffman Foundation FastTrac Program (online self-study program)
- Attend Entrepreneurial Guest Speakers and Lecture Events.
- Attend Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars monthly meetings which will be lead by the Faculty Coordinator, the Woltemade Center, or approved visitor.
- Travel to incubators, innovation centers, and have direct interaction with successful entrepreneurs.
- Develop their own entrepreneurial venture during spring semester – creating the idea, conducting market research, developing a selling proposition, and designing a business plan and/or marketing materials, such as an app or website.
- Students will receive a $500 Stipend for either participating in a spring/summer internship/experience or to fund an approved business venture startup.
The Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars Program is open to freshman, sophomore, and junior status applicants who have achieved an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Candidates will interview with at least one Latham ESP committee member and submit a letter of reference from an OWU faculty member.
Application Deadline is Friday, March 19, 2021.
Complete the application form by clicking HERE
- Submit a request for an internship or startup stipend (after acceptance into the program) by clicking HERE
The Latham Entrepreneurial Scholars Program is being created with a gift of time, talent, and treasure from OWU alumna Carol Latham, Class of 1961. A chemistry major at Ohio Wesleyan, Latham is the retired founder, president, and CEO of Thermagon, Inc., a custom manufacturer of high performance heat-transfer materials for electronic components. Under her leadership, Thermagon grew to sales of $18 million annually worldwide.