Sponsored by the Woltemade Center, the Blaine E. Grimes Grant Program is available to Ohio Wesleyan students who are studying Economics, Management Economics, Quantitative Economics, Business Administration, Finance Economics, Accounting, or International Business (must be a declared major or minor). The purpose of the program is to encourage and support internships, especially those related to international or public service programs.
Grants are available for up to $2,000 for spring or summer semester internships. Interested students who have identified an appropriate internship or similar experience are encouraged to apply. There will be two rounds of selections, November and April.
Grant Requirements and Qualifications
- Students must be currently enrolled at OWU during the time of their internship. Graduating seniors cannot apply for funding for summer internships after graduation.
- Students must show financial need to receive funding.
- To qualify for funding, the total length of the internship must be 150 hours or more.
- The Blaine E. Grimes Grant does not cover school tuition or student loans.
With funds provided by Jeff Harris ’76, an investor in and board member of Prodesse; and Cynthia Harris ’76, the program was initiated in the summer of 2005 and named in memory of the late Economics Professor Dr. Blaine E. Grimes, who taught at Ohio Wesleyan from 1946, until 1988. The program was enhanced by Lou Simpson ’58, Chairman of SQ Advisors
Applications for Spring 2022 internships will open on November 1, 2021.
Applications for Summer 2022 internships will open on March 22, 2022.
Click HERE to complete the ONLINE Application.
Click HERE for Budget Sheet to include with the ONLINE Application.
Please note that you must also submit a letter of acceptance from the firm confirming the internship or summer experience in order to receive any grant money awarded. If you have received an award based on submitting only the application, you will have two weeks from the date of the award to submit your employer’s letter of acceptance.
For Spring Internships:
Grant applications are DUE Monday, November 29, 2021. Students will be notified of the selection committee's decision by Friday, December 10, 2021. Applications submitted after November 29, 2021 will be accepted and considered on a case-by-case basis until December 13, 2021.
For Summer Internships:
Grant applications are DUE Friday, April 15, 2022. Students will be notified of the selection committee's decision by Monday, April 25, 2022. Applications submitted after April 15, 2022 will be accepted and considered on a case-by-case basis until April 27, 2022.
Blaine Grimes Awards
Students who are awarded a Blaine Grimes Grant must sign a contract agreeing:
- To complete the internship for the period proposed
- To submit a 1-2 page summary report of your internship experience
- To submit a report summarizing how the grant funds were expended and coordinating receipts
- To have a supervisor submit an evaluation of your performance and attendance
- To submit a high-resolution photograph of yourself to post on the Center’s website
- To return the amount of the Blaine Grimes grant if you fail to comply with any of the terms of this contract
For Additional Information, Contact: Destiny Coleman at x3565, email@example.com